Wednesday, July 22, 2009

One mile at a time...

Halfway through the summer, I'm halfway through my goal of 150 miles. Actually over halfway - have to count every single one because I'm feeling every single one of them, some more than others. Since I'm halfway through I thought I'd reflect on some of the things I've learned through my running and walking adventures and things I still hope to learn.
  • You have to run for you - you can't do it for anyone else or you'll be miserable. If you try to be someone else when you run, you won't stick with it. I've learned I am not 120lbs and fast. I am 250+ lbs and plodding but running got much easier when I accepted that fact.
  • Exercising with friends helps it go faster - however, you have to find someone that's close to your pace and progress. Running with someone faster on occasion is good - it challenges you. But doing it too often can defeat you. (or at least me) Running with someone slower on occasion is good too - it can be encouraging. But it can develop complacency. 
  • Running with a dog is tough - well, running with Mo is tough. Especially when squirrels are involved. Then it's not so much running as it is hanging on for dear life.
  • Speaking of squirrels. Don't be defeated when they run faster than you. What are they? Like 2lbs? And, they have four feet to run on... that's gotta be easier. At least that's what I'm telling myself because a couple of those squirrels have passed me by and given me a little wink. If I could have caught them I would have winked back but I had to save my energy to get through the run.
  • Get through the run. No matter what - finish what you start. Plan a route with minimal escapes or shortcuts. You'll feel better when you do and won't feel like you cheated yourself.
  • DO NOT let the scale dictate how much you run. Let your body tell you how much it can handle. Some days you'll be heavier, and others will feel great. But don't let the scale defeat you or let you slide by.
  • You get a lot of thinking done and find out what you're made of on hills. I have found that I'm made of several lays of fat and overactive sweat glands. I get to think about this a lot as I look at the waterfall cascading down the hill behind my as I conquer them one step at a time. (And yes, it is conquering because I feel pretty victorious when I get to the top of one.)
  • Your version of a hill and mine may not be the same thing. My version of a hill is pretty much anything over a 5 degree incline that progresses more than 50 meters. A mountain could be defined as 228th. I've conquered a couple of mountains lately. And slowly, they're becoming hills.
  • It's okay to walk. Sometimes just walking for 10-20meters makes a world of difference. It can let your breathing recover or just jazz you enough that you want to start running again.
  • Music can make or break a solitary run. Good tunes put you in a good mood and a good mood makes for a better run. But, sometimes just listening to the sound of your feet hitting the pavement or the traffic around you can be almost as encouraging.
  • I'm okay if I never get to a 10 minute mile. At least for now. For now I want to just do the best that I can so that I can keep it up. For me. For my health. For my life. So that I can be the best mom, wife, daughter, friend etc. that I can be.
And, life is a marathon, not a sprint, so it's okay if I take my time reaching those goals.  What goals do you have? Are you reaching them? Setting markers along the way to help you progress? Do you have people in your life to run beside you or stand on the sidelines and cheer? I'm grateful for all of the folks in my life and happy that I'm getting healthy to (hopefully) repay the favor.

'Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment