
I've always fancied myself a runner. I ran in middle and high school as a sprinter and would run for fun and to stay in shape into my early twenties. Then marriage, kids, work and everything else hit and running kind of went by the wayside. So did my figure. So, over the past few years I've been attempting to get back into it. Somehow lugging my 250lbs around the neighborhood doesn't feel the same as when I was 20 years younger and 100+ lbs lighter. It certainly isn't pretty. In an effort to have a 'break through' and move up to the next level of training, and because I needed to clear my head, I decided to go out for a longer run and carefully mapped my 8 miles so that there wouldn't be any 'outs' and I'd have to do it. Many of you asked, "what were you thinking?", and while this answer may not be what you had in mind exactly, it is in fact what I was thinking. It went a little something like this....
Ugh...Do I really want to do this?
Hey, the neighbors aren't home and the papers are piling up.
Yeah... I'm running. Feeling pretty good.
Those flowers are pretty.
Is it going to rain? I don't want to get caught in the rain.
I can make it up 228th. I'll feel really good if I make it up 228th.
There's no chance in Hades I'm making it up 228th.
Whew... when did we start living in a vacuum and who took my oxygen?
Wait, there's a police officer... am I in the crosswalk?
C'mon Taira, you can do it. All the way from Brier Road to 212th. One step at a time.
One LOOOONNNNGGGG step at a time.
One painful step....
Maybe I should detour and cut through BTMS and head home. It looks like it might rain.
Nah....
This song sucks. No one could run to this song.... or this one... or this one... Criminy, do I have any good songs on my iPod.
Pure Energy... Pure Energy.... I wanna know... what you're thinking... tell me what's on your mind... (information society)
I can see the stop light at 212th. Good job T. almost there. All the way...
I can walk. I've earned it.
Who put this hill here?
Hmmmm, 44th goes right to my house. Wait, there's a CW parent, gotta start running again.
Who's that skinny chick up in front of me? Why does she make running look so easy.
A slurpee wouldn't suck right now.
Am I done yet?
Would Gary miss me if I got run over and didn't come home?
I wonder if Ciara's home yet.
Did I say I'd run to 52nd or 66th? because 52nd is sounding a lot better right now.
No, you know you said 66th. Don't cheat.
What are you looking at? Yeah, I'm fat... and red... and my shorts are riding up... but at least I'm out here.
Why the heck am I out here?
Who put another hill here? I need to use the terrain map next time I get one of these stupid ideas. Where... gasp....is... wheeze... 220th... am I there yet?
Hey, I'm at 220th - alright. I can do this.
Time to check the pedometer.
3 miles? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I know I've done at least 5. This stupid thing - how much did I pay for it? It better really be an 8 mile loop because I'm .... EXHAUSTED.
Hey, look at the cars going under the freeway.
I'm pretty proud of myself. I didn't think I'd actually make it this far. I'm still in one piece and feeling like a runner.
Thanks God for giving me a cool day to be able to do this. The heat would have killed me.
There's those wildflowers Kerri and I thought were pretty the other day.
Keep running, Ellen's house is coming up and you don't want to be seen walking - that wouldn't do.
Cross country runners are insane. Why do they do this each day?
Candy cane park. I really like this trail. Somehow I know I can run it each time.
Could I possibly be sweating any more?
.... Yes...
Where's C&J's tree? I swear they made it up.
Uh oh, loose dog. Don't mess with my rhythm, mutt - I only have one gear right now - slow and steady.
Darn frisbee golfers... don't they know I can't stop for them?
I'm so tired!
Who put this hill here? I'm going to run up it if it kills me.
No, I'm not.
Okay Taira, just run past the O'Neills and to 44th. You can do it.
It's starting to rain, maybe I should call Gary.
I'm so close.
Goodness, was that lightning?
AAAAACCCCKKKK.
That was thunder.
three blocks left, three blocks left....
More thunder. The angels are bowling. No, wait, it's God, cheering me home.
There's my street.
C'mon Taira push - finish strong.
Do I have to?
There's the gate.
Thank you Lord for letting me persevere and get through this.
I did it.
No, we did it.
Are we having an earthquake? Nope -just my spent muscles.
It's good to be home.
Cross country runners are amazing.
Hope you experienced runners can identify with some of it, you wannabees like me identify with most of it and those of you that haven't quite gotten off the couch yet are inspired to find out what your thoughts are by getting out there. I can laugh about it now - not so much then. And after driving it (stupid pedometer) it was in fact 8 miles.
You can do it! and if you need a slow and steady partner, give me a call!
I saw you run by the O'Neill's that day! And you DID do it! Way to go. Proud of you.
ReplyDelete