Monday, May 25, 2009

Tech Free or Talk Free?

So it's been on MSNBC and Oprah and who knows where else about the families and teens going tech free for 10 days. I have to admit, I'd be hard pressed to go without some of the technologies of today. And, I'd have to define what technologies of 'today' really are - could I give up my iPod - probably if I could still have my old school 'blaster' to play some tunes on. Could I give up my cell phone? YUP, in a heartbeat. I LONG for the days when you call someone's land line and if they were there, GREAT!, if not, you either left a message on the answering machine (not voice mail) or, GASP, someone who was home wrote it down. I know people that have given up their land lines because the whole family has cell phones. The thing is, I want to know who's calling my kids and how many calls they're getting. I like to know that the people they're talking to aren't afraid to call the house phone and that they have the manners to ask politely if my son or daughter is at home. Phone etiquette has gone out the window with cell phones and texting. How about computers? Could I give them up? Probably not at work and I probably be hard pressed to do so at home too. But there are things that I could give up doing on the computer... surfing, Facebook, email, blogging, etc. but others, college and photo editing are kind of must haves for me. Probably the big time sucker for me is TV and I've been giving it a lot of thought. We currently have Directv with umpteen channels. I've been thinking for awhile of downsizing but then break into a sweat thinking about missing something on the SciFi channel or TLC. How will I know how to prepare for a medical emergency without Trauma: Life in the ER or learn that my dogs aren't so bad by watching The Dog Whisperer. So, I have to debate about the tech free thing. What would you give up? Or have a hard time giving up? I know my daughter literally starts having a panic attack if I mention taking her phone... which makes me think it probably needs to be done every once in awhile.

But the thing I would really like to do is take a day (or week) of silence. No talking. I want to know what words are really important and to think about what I say. I feel like so much of what comes out of my mouth could be better said (and I generally think about what I say before I say it...) or maybe not said at all. What would I miss the most? What words would I think important enough to break the silence? Would it change what I say when I started talking again? Would I write to communicate or just gesture or do nothing at all?

Maybe I'll try things on a trial basis. Maybe give up technology and talking for an hour or two each day. Maybe by unplugging from the world, I'll get plugged back in to myself. Something that seems to have gotten lost along the way with all of the hustle and bustle. Do you know who you are? What would you like to know about yourself? Does it require sacrifice? Are you worth it?

I think I am. And, I think you are. Let's give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment