Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Clarification...


Okay - so my last post might have seemed a little dodwn. It's not that there aren't good surprises so much as I'm not good at dealing with them in the moment and it sometimes takes me a day or two or year or two to realize that they were indeed good. What brought on this revelation? A kitten.

Yesterday I got a somewhat distraught call from our evening custodian that "YOUR SON" took an injured kitten home that she was going to take to PAWS and that is was going to die if he didn't do something about it. So, I texted Scott to get the story. He said he couldn't talk because he was at the vet and would call me later. Yes, my 15 yr. old son without any prompting from mom, took the kitten to our vet on his own, paid for it with the money he had just earned from mowing 10+ lawns over the weekend and has been hand feeding it every three hours. Turns out a friend of mine was driving to work and saw a crow pecking at something in the middle of the road. He stopped and found the kitten. He had to go to work (at my school) and didn't know what to do. All of his friends and family were busy and Scott just happened to be going by. Scott said he'd take care of it. He was going to wait until I got home but decided that it needed immediate attention.

So there are several surprises. The kitten, which still had it's umbilical cord attached and was determined to be 2-3 days old, lived through the night. My son, who loves his money, gave it unflinchingly to help this little life without any prompting. My son, who loves his sleep, got up twice in the middle of the night to feed it. I know my son is a great kid with a wonderful heart but even knowing that he still surprises me with the depth of his compassion. And, I had thought our animal family was complete - but, if the kitten lives, no surprise, we'll probably have another addition to our house. How could we give it up after it's already taught us so much?

So - may surprises, good or bad, teach you something about yourselves and the ones you love.

Have a good day, and a good life! It's not always easy but the more I learn the more I know, it's always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment