Merry Christmas! It was a white Christmas this year - it's been a white everything for over a week. I don't remember a time when we've ever had so much snow - we've had over 2 feet over the course of the last week (with just a little melted here and there.) It's been a stark contrast to the gray and black economic, political and world news that have been present for the past few months. It's amazing how quickly we begin to loathe something we often wish for. We rejoice (yes, rejoice) at one snow day but complain about 3. The snow is beautiful to look at for a day or two but we start to go crazy after that. I have felt so snowbound and out of sorts at not being able to get out of the house and do 'normal' things. I would never make it on Survivor. I wouldn't have been a good pioneer. What on earth did they do during those long winters with no electricity, no Facebook, no Blog, no TV - not even a shelfload of books. I am finding I identify with Jack Nicholson's character in "The Shining" a little more :) - that in and of itself should make you wish the sun comes back soon. So, while I have developed a new hatred of snow, I have developed a better appreciation of the rain... at least until doesn't stop for several days in row.
This Christmas was different but ended up being okay. It's a signal of the fact that the times are changing. The kids are older. My parents are older. Okay, yes, even we are older. It really is amazing to reflect how our perspectives and celebrations have changed over the years. One thing has remained constant - Jesus is our reason for the season. When we hold that truth then all of the snow, the economy, and any other 'noise' that permeates our lives, doesn't matter quite so much.
Merry CHRISTmas to you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment