Friday, September 26, 2014

When Ink Speaks




I've been wanting another tattoo for a long time. I have known that I wanted it to have something to do with running because it has been so much a part of my life for so long.


There are several bible verses that mean something to me that incorporate running. Isaiah 40:31 says, "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Those that run, know that running and not growing weary do not always go hand in hand. Often when we get weary we get grumpy or frustrated or bitter. My motto has always been to go through life with joy - and to run with joy as well. I have thought about getting the kanji symbols for "run with joy" but then thought, why do I want to have to explain to someone what it says when I could just as easily write it. I also knew that I wanted something more than that and so I put the ideas on the shelf for a few years.

I started running more in the last few years and began running races for causes that were near and dear to my heart. I walked the Avon Breast Cancer Three Day (when it was the Avon 3-day) for many of my friends that had fought breast cancer. Some of them won that fight, and some of them lost. Throughout the 3-day experience I was struck by how many people were walking for others. I became very mindful of how blessed I am to be able to move and more importantly to be able to run. 

Fast forward to this past couple of years and the journey my friend Kellie was on. When she lost her battle with Uterine Cancer I knew that I wanted to somehow incorporate her strength into whatever design I came up with. I started to sketch for real and to look at other tattoos. This is what I came up with.

I incorporated the ribbon that has become a symbol for the causes so many are fighting. I wanted to do it in black because in a perfect world - those causes would find cures and the ribbon wouldn't be needed anymore. I also wanted it to remind me that I am running (with joy) to raise money for those causes but also running for those who can't - either because they aren't with us or because their fight precludes them from doing so. A ribbon is strong and it binds us together. Many of my dearest friends were brought into my life because of the strength and joy of someone struggling. I put the hearts in between the words because with every step, I am grateful to feel my heart beating and am grateful to those who have shared their hearts with me. The first heart is pink, because breast cancer was one of the first causes I ran for. I had numerous people in my life that had fought and won the battle with breast cancer. My friend Sheila did not. It was her battle that worried Kellie when she was diagnosed. She wanted to be able to fight. The second heart is peach for Uterine cancer - it is between the words "with joy" because it is how my friend Kellie lived. I didn't want her cancer to be the thing that defined her when in it fact it was her life and her heart for her family and others that were some of her greatest characteristics. It reminds me that it is how we live our lives that we are measured and remembered by. Finally, the runner is sharing a red heart. The red is representative of the American Heart Association which is another cause that I'm passionate about - more so now with Gary's recent experience. Red is also the color of love - I left it detached from the hand because I want to be reminded that not only should I pursue love, I should also share it. The runner has a ponytail because not only does it symbolize youth (and remind me of Ciara and I's bouncing ponytails) but it also means to me a 'get to work' attitude. When I pull my hair back, I'm in 'git r done' mode and there is nothing more that I would like to see more "done" than those diseases that have taken loved ones away from us. 

There is more that it means to me that is hard to explain. I can't put into words (shocking, I know) how much it meant to do it with women who have become soul sisters to me (both those that made their own permanent memory, those that were moral support, and those that are planning their spontaneity). My heart really is full right now and my joy is spilling over. I can't finish this post without a shout out to Project Tattoo in Mountlake Terrace. I've been to other shops but was impressed with their understanding of what we were doing, and why. I am grateful that they understood my design was important to me and that it needed to be my writing because it is my journey. It was a PHabulous experience. 

Until next time. 

1 comment:

  1. Taira, I love this design... I love the amount of love you put into it...I love the deep thinker you are...I love how you love!!! <3

    ReplyDelete