Thursday, November 11, 2010

Saying No

So I went to lunch with my good friend Shelley (that crazy Canadian that twisted my arm into doing another half marathon in February) and we were chatting about life. She and I have the most amazing talks and her insights and questions teach me some pretty spectacular stuff. She is a thinker like me and believes in continually learning and growing from life.

Today we were talking about some of the struggles I've been trying to deal with and she told be a story about a woman she'd heard speak who made the statement that saying 'no' is really showing respect to yourself.

Saying NO is really showing respect for yourself. (yes, I know I said it twice. I just wanted it to sink in for effect.

It really was profound moment for me. Because saying no often means feeling like I'm disappointing someone and as a perpetual pleaser that's really hard for me. But if I'm not pleasing myself or doing things that make me happy or feed my soul then I'm not really able to please others as much as I'd like to.

I'll get through this season in my life - just as we all will. But I leave you with the question - how will you show respect for yourself? Who, or what, will you say no to in order to make some time and room for yourself and get off of the crazy train?

Keep thinking. Keep taking care of yourselves. And if I happen to say 'no' - please understand that it's not about disrespecting you, it's about learning to respect myself. (and it probably means, not right now.... as opposed to never).

Blessings to you all.

Taira

No comments:

Post a Comment