Thursday, August 20, 2009

Letting Go

You know those times when you're holding on to something so tightly it almost disappears from the pressure you put on it? I'm finding things each day that I feel like I've almost squeezed the life out of. And you know what happens when you squeeze that hard? It hurts. Maybe just a little at first, maybe the fingers start to cramp or the hand spasms. But eventually it moves up the arm, into the shoulders, down the back and affects the whole body. Holding on too tightly isn't necessarily a good thing. Holding on can sometimes hold you back.

What are you holding on to? What's holding you back?

I know I'm holding on to my kids and I've known for sometime that I would need to be letting them go. Some recent events and just the time in life have made me really start looking towards the future. Where did those precious babies go? I know where they've gone. They've turned into wonderful young adults. They need to spread their wings. Even get pushed out of the nest a little. Not completely, mind you. Not ready to let go completely. But I don't want to squeeze the life out of them when they're just starting to live it. I have been blessed with a relationship with my kids that is beyond compare. I can still count on one hand the number of true problems we've had and can measure the tough times in hours or days, not months or years. That's a wonderful things but it can make the hours that you're 'in the weeds' seems interminable. Just gotta keep on keeping on.

The past is another thing that you can hold on to. One can try to get as much bang out of those memories and the way things were but it can't stop the present and future from happening. Looking back and holding on can keep you from preparing and making room. And, it can cause you to miss the blessings that are happening along the way.

Then there's all the other "STUFF". The clutter, the hurt feelings, the disappointments. Holding on to those takes up so much emotional room. How can your heart be open when it's so hard to navigate?

What can you do? Let go. Sounds easy but when you've been holding on so long it's like your body becomes used to the pain. It wouldn't know what to do without it. Your hand naturally falls into that shape like it was molded and meant to be. It doesn't want to let go. Like it's afraid. And letting go is scary. Holding on to things so tightly often means we don't know what else there might be out there for us because we've had to focus on not losing our grasp and have excluded everything, or everyone else.

I know there's things I have to let go of. And I know I have to remember that the amazing thing is no matter what I choose to hold on to, or let go of, God NEVER lets go of me. Even when I forget that He's right there, 'in the weeds' with me. And I have to remember that those weeds are representative of sin in our lives. There weren't weeds before Adam and Eve decided to eat that apple. Who doesn't want to let weeds go? Apparently me... but I'm working on it.

Smelling the flowers and blowing out the candles. (Breathe in, breathe out) One day at a time. Bitter or better. Let it go.

Will you let go with me? Falling into the unknown is better with a friend. Thanks for being on the journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment