For whatever reason the subject of teaching cursive has come up with several acquaintances and strangers lately.
"Why don't you teach cursive anymore?"
"How will they sign their name?"
"How will they be able to read letters from their grandparents?"
I'm going to attempt to answer that here. I don't teach cursive because it's not a standard. That's the simple answer. There are many things that are standards and I do not have enough hours in the day to teach them as thoroughly or as well as I'd like. That's simple to understand. At least I hope it is. Because if it isn't, then my other reasons, the real reasons, will be much harder to comprehend.
I don't teach cursive because at least 60% of this year's students do not speak English (let alone write it) as their first language. I am loathe to make them learn a second set of characters in a language that is not their own when they haven't mastered the printed letters.
I don't teach cursive because a large percentage of my students don't have grandparents who read or write English themselves, let alone in cursive. Some of my kids today have grandparents that have been exposed to technology and they are just as likely to skype, text, email or Facebook message their grandkids. Still more of my students left their grandparents behind in the country they emigrated from and the mention of them can be cause for tears because they miss them so much.
I don't teach cursive because 8 and 9 year olds don't need to have a signature and worry about signing their life away.
I don't teach cursive because my students hearts and minds are full of things that are too big for them too handle and I need to listen to those hearts and minds and hold their hands. One of my students lost their father this week. He died in a tragic accident. My student shared the horrific details with me matter of factly. "I got to say goodbye. The doctor said he could hear me but that he wouldn't be able to tell me that he loved me because his brain wasn't working any more. I didn't like it when the machine stopped beeping."
I don't teach cursive because I am teaching 8 year olds how to navigate death and grief and loss.
"My pet cat died."
"That's not the same thing, sweetheart. But I'm sorry for your loss."
"Why do people die?"
"That's a good question that I wish I had the answer for, my darling. They don't teach us that in my teacher classes. I think we learn to find that answer by talking about it. Sometimes we don't get the answers."
"Mrs. Rink, Will you give me a hug and tell me that you love me? I need to hear it today."
"Always, precious one. Any time."
I don't teach cursive because today students shared their own stories of loss. Of family members and neighbors murdered. Of cancer. Of poverty. And it wears on my soul. Instead I teach them the standards. I teach them to love and to care. And to listen. And to dream. And to be resilient. I teach them to hope. I teach them to remember.
"Yes?"
"I brought you this hat from my collection. My dad bought me my hats. I know how much you love the Oregon Ducks. If you wear it, you'll help me to remember him."
"I'll wear it all day"
"Won't we get in trouble?"
"No dear one. We won't. I will love this hat, and you, for ever. Thank you for trusting me with it."
"I love you Mrs. Rink. Will you hold my hand a little longer?"
"As long as you need my friend. As long as you need."
No. I don't teach cursive. I hope you'll understand. Until next time. 
No comments:
Post a Comment