Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Believing in the I'mpossible

 The short version? I ran a marathon. It took me 5hrs 52 minutes to cover 26.2 miles. But the journey began a long time ago and it's taken me a few days to be able to fully put to words what it meant. To understand the path I took to get to Eugene, take a little walk (or run) with me. I promise it'll be shorter than the time it took me to run the course.



 The weekend started bright and early. I picked up Korryn and we hit the road. Traffic was blessedly light and we arrived in Eugene, Oregon right around 11am. I had planned on getting there early because I wanted to be able to acclimate and shake out any nerves before the race the next day. We walked to the Expo and felt giddy with delight at being in my happy place - Tracktown, USA. I have always had great respect for Eugene and the running history it has. I walked up to the tent and my name was on it. The tears started to well up when I went to pick up my bib. Taira Rink - Marathon. It was suddenly so real. I was less than 24 hours away from a dream. We did a little shopping and looking around and then it was time for dinner.

 For the last three years I have been part of a running group that tried to complete - individually or as a team - that year's miles within a year. This year I've been more active in the 2,017 in 2017 group and was excited to meet some of my friends who were also running Eugene and had thus far been virtual acquaintances. What a complete joy dinner was. So much laughter and support - just what I needed to relax and calm some of those pre-race jitters. (I hope if you're reading this and you were there, that you know just how much I am grateful for the time we spent together and how much confidence it gave me going in to Sunday's race. )

 After a largely sleepless night, Korryn and I got ready and headed to the starting line. We paused in front of Hayward Field to pay respect and say, "See you soon" as we knew we'd be finishing on the track. As we walked away someone asked us if we'd like our picture taken. We said we just had but offered to take his. I looked up and he said, "Taira Randall?" I looked at him and said, "Ryan Collier!!!" We had gone to school together from grade school on and hadn't seen each other in years. I couldn't believe that our paths would cross but it was just one of many moments where the fact that this race for me was the culmination of many things in my life.

 The race started and despite being in the last corral we were on the course by 7:12am. Korryn was running the half marathon and the courses stay together for the first ten miles. She knew what pace I was shooting for and tried to keep me reigned in. We ran consistent splits throughout and I felt great. I powered up the few hills that there were. I braved the bridge. I felt amazing. We reached the point where the race split and with hugs and wishes we went our separate ways. I can't say enough about Korryn - she has been a running encouragement to me for many years. She has been a second mom to my kids. When it came to thinking about who I might want with me for this event, there really wasn't another choice. She just "gets" me when it comes to running. For my part, it was a joy to be able to share each mile with her because there have been many miles where I have not been strong or confident. I took off on the marathon course knowing I had 16 miles left. I continued on, feeling strong but suddenly and keenly aware that marathons are for serious runners. I say that because the course abruptly got very lonely - it was here that I named the disposable water bottle I'd been carrying, "Wilson"  - a la Cast Away. While the Eugene Marathon has a generous cut off time of 7 hours, most of the marathoners were in the 5 hour or less range. I was shooting for 5 1/2 hours for my first one and was on pace for that going through the half marathon mark. In fact, I had a 2 minute PR for my half marathon time. I felt fantastic. I powered on through miles 15 and 16. I should mention that I'd had to pee since the start but hadn't found a porta-pottie without a line and was unwilling to sacrifice time to stop. Thankfully, right about mile 16 there was a line-free bathroom and I jumped at the opportunity. My stomach took that opportunity to thank me by staging a mini-revolt. I got back on the course and felt a little better. It didn't last. Mile 18 came along and said, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". I wanted to curl up on the trail and take a nap. I texted Korryn and told her I'd hit the wall and that, while I'd finish, I wasn't sure what time.

I walked and told myself that it would be okay. I watched as the 5:30 pacer passed me by. I thought that would sting more than it did but really, I was okay. I passed a medical station and realized I hadn't eaten anything in the past 7 miles. I REALLY didn't want anything but knew I needed something. I almost went back to medical and asked them to make me eat. I stopped myself and said that if I knew what I needed, why was I going to give away my power instead of just doing what I needed to do. I blessedly pulled out my marshmallows - something I'd found at a previous race (Hot Chocolate 15k) and it was JUST what I needed. I was so thankful that I hadn't eaten them earlier. After that I felt a little better and was able to start running again. In those moments I so strongly felt everyone that was thinking about me and praying. I just felt at peace. The course continued and about mile 24.5 I came across this field with baby daisies that went right up to the water. I had a Wizard of Oz moment and imagined laying down and falling asleep but I knew I getting closer. At mile 25, I looked over and saw a gal hula hooping in the field. It was such a God-Breeze. I ran off the course to get a picture with her. Her joy reminded me of the joy I would feel finishing. After that I ran into another runner who had placed 2nd in the Half Marathon. He was running some other women in. In my ever small world, it was Yon Yilma, an Edmonds-Woodway grad and someone that Ciara had competed with in High School.  I pressed on and as I got just about to mile 26, a Bob Dylan song and a Run DMC song came on in my playlist and it made me think of Scott. I am so proud of my kids and was wishing they were there. There had been another dad and brother cheering a girl on at various spots on the course and at one point I told them I was pretending they were there for me. Right at mile 26 the speakers were playing the song in my friend Jamie's video that got me into hula hooping. I pictured her spinning her plastic circle all over the world and knew that the finish was in my grasp.




 I approached Hayward field and left Wilson the water bottle on top of a garbage can knowing that I wanted both hands free for the finish. I saw Korryn. I remember yelling, "Korrynee, I did it!" and those steps onto what is sacred running ground. The last time I'd set foot on the track at Hayward was as a freshman in high school being allowed to do two laps with the U of O track team. In both of those moments - 30 years apart, I felt the joy that running is for me. I allowed myself a little tear, eked out a smile for the photographer and started to lengthen my stride towards the finish, enjoying every moment of being on that track. I tried to pick up the pace and was glad that my legs responded. With about 50 meters to go, I saw the finish line and my smile got bigger. It was then that I heard, "GO MOM!" and "Way to go, Taira". I looked over and saw Gary and Scott. They had driven down that morning just to see me finish my first marathon. Breathing became a little more difficult as the emotions started to flood but I crossed that finish line. A benefit, I found, of being among the last 40 runners in the race is that you get the undivided attention of the race photographer. What do I see when I look at this picture? I see joy. I see strength. I see confidence. I see happiness. I see a person that didn't believe in her worth but found it. I see a person who beat anxiety and reaped the benefit of new friends and memories. I see a person who thought a marathon was impossible but found out she was wrong. I see a person who is loved even though she didn't think she was lovable. I see a person who was once content with being mediocre but now loves finding ways to embrace awesome. I am still trying to to know this person. This is the person that crashed for two days after her first 5k. This is the person that couldn't walk for two days after her first half marathon. This is the person that got up after running a marathon and did 8 miles and 8 more the day after that. But she didn't do it alone. I wouldn't be this person without so many others. This race was such a perfect reminder of where I've been in my life - seeing Ryan and remembering growing up, seeing Yon and remembering cheering on my own kids, seeing a hooper and reminding myself of the need to make time for joy, running with Korryn and being grateful for friends who share your passions, encourage your dreams and run the path with you. I was blessed by RTY-ers that asked about and thought about me (and to have found RTY-ers that are also WW buddies too and cheering me on from Richland). I'm grateful for family, that drive hours to cheer you on when you don't think you're worth cheering and that leave you surprise gifts on the seat of your car.  And for dear friends like Lauri, who have logged countless miles and endured (enjoyed?) the countless miles of training and endless weekends of "Ish" which was code for "I said 5 miles but meant 10."

I started off thinking that a marathon was impossible. What I found it that I'm possible. And anything is possible. What an amazing blessing, joy and journey this life is. I can't wait to see where it takes me too next... maybe an Ultra??? With extreme appreciate and gratitude I bid you Happy Running!
Paying respect at Pre's Rock with our medals after the race.

Celebrating with a glass of wine - We did it!


Conquering another bridge on our shakeout run the day after
I am a marathoner. (Thank you for the necklace Gary)
Adding to my bucket list items - running Pre's Trail the next day

Can't visit Eugene without throwing my "O"



















5 comments:

  1. So wonderfully written. With a tear or two shed while reading this, I can not put into words how honored I am to be the person that "gets" you! There have been so many journeys together. Most of them connected to running, be it as parents of runners or runners ourselves. Watching you achieve this goal in Eugene is one of the highlights for sure! Congrats Taira!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Taira! You are an incredible person and an inspiration! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is showing you that you are not over the hill at 45 unless you are running over it. You have accomplished so much these last five plus years after raising your family. We are so proud of you but miss the Wilson story you told us. Please share it too as it has given your prayer supporters a good laugh to go with the PROUD OF YOU tears. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is showing you that you are not over the hill at 45 unless you are running over it!!! You have accomplished amazing things these last five years after raising your family. And you're not done. You didn't share your Wilson story and we think you should as it made all the prayer supporters laugh along with the tears. YOU did it! We are so proud of you not for the race but for your determination and who you are. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I edited and added Wilson in. I had written about it on one of the other pictures I posted. I was able to accomplish this because of the love and support of so many. I am grateful.

      Delete