Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Value of Facebook

With the recent flurry of emotion and anxiety over the new FB look (which I'm still not fond of) and the panic of the possibility (hoax) that FB was going to charge for services, I had to stop and ask myself, what is Facebook worth?

It's hard to remember that a few short years ago I was anti-Facebook. I was (and still am) REALLY anti-MySpace. However, Facebook has changed my life and the way I look at things. What is that worth?

I can now keep in touch with friends that I don't see on a regular basis but still care deeply about. It has allowed me to rekindle or find lost friends. It has allowed me to strengthen some relationships but has, at times perhaps, weakened others. But that weakening or strengthening was a window into the relationship itself and a valuable life lesson.

It has allowed me a platform to speak or share my thoughts. (I'll let you make up your mind whether or not that's a good thing).

It has allowed me to let former students know that I still care and want to connect with them. It has let me stay connected with my own kids and their friends who are an extended part of our family. (I'll let them decide how awesome that is).

Facebook has helped us spread the word about issues and things that are important to us. For our school that meant winning $50,000 to get us a fabulous new playground - where through our collective network of friends, family and community we were all able to play a part. For others it has meant bringing awareness and support to causes that are near and dear to them - whether finding a cure for cancer, MS or help for our 'angels', Facebook allows us to network and bring our worlds together.

Facebook has taught me the value of stepping back, thinking before speaking (or posting), assuming positive intent and not jumping to conclusions. (arguably some might still benefit from those lessons...)

In the end, Facebook is a tool. Like any tool it can be used for good or bad. It can be used correctly or it can be abused. Its value, I think, is in the lessons we learn from ourselves or the ones we can learn from those we connect with if we are willing to learn.

What is Facebook worth? On the surface, it's worth the price I pay for the internet each month. But going deeper, to the connections I have with those of you that are my friends - it really is priceless. So, I'll suffer through the 'radical new changes' - though not without grumbling along with the rest of you. I may post fewer pictures if I continue to feel my privacy is being invaded. But I won't give up on Facebook yet - you are all too important to me.

Until next time... - T

No comments:

Post a Comment