Whenever someone mistakenly asks me, "when are you due?" I have sometimes joked and replied, 'oh I just had the baby... 17 years ago'. Like many people I know (at least the women) it's easy to say that the extra weight we carry around is baby weight. Although in my case it's not the pregnancies that left me heavier. In many regards, I think we all carry around baby weight. Babies are dependent on others for their wants and needs, they are ruled by their feelings and emotions. Some of us overweight folks are no different - we seek approval from others, gauge our actions/reactions based on others and are ruled by emotions, often turning to food or other destructive behaviors because throwing a tantrum, taking a nap, or crying for hours on end so someone will hold us isn't socially acceptable as an adult.
I've been doing a lot of thinking and believe that changing our 'baby weight' into 'baby, wait!' will be a more positive approach. By telling that inner baby to wait and then taking a moment for oneself to breathe, think and process BEFORE speaking,acting or eating can help to change unhealthy habits. I've always been a big thinker (shocking.... NOT!) but wording it this way was really an 'a-ha' moment for me. So, I'm telling that baby to wait and I'm looking forward to the day when I can tell myself, 'WOMAN, you look good!' and putting the baby behind me.
No comments:
Post a Comment