I clearly have more angst ridden things I could write about but will save those for the melancholy days ahead after I take Ciara to school...
What really kept me up last night was thinking about the progresses made in technology and how they have (or haven't) improved our lives. I was trying to narrow down what my personal favorite of the modern age is. To do so, I had to come up with some pros and cons of several. Here are some of those thoughts... I hope you'll share some of yours as well.
Computers - for the most part they are 'wonder'ful. They allow us to do things we could never have imagined. Information is only a click away, and even family becomes even closer with email, social networking etc. However, all that information isn't always a good thing, nor is the closeness or sense of intimacy we can gain from having access to so much information. We've lost a lot of our mystery in the electronic age. And, they're oh-so-easy to become permanently attached to. We still need to be able to unplug. There is still a thrill in the handwritten word and the snail mail letter or card. As much as computers are necessary and useful - they often make things too easy. Don't forget to make the extra effort every now and again and keep our postal employees employed - send a card or a care package :)
Cell Phones - I'm not even sure I want to get started on this one. Cell phones are handy for emergencies. I can say though that I honestly miss being able to go somewhere and simply be 'in the moment' of whatever I was doing. I liked the fact that I trusted my kids enough that when they were going to a friend's house I always had a landline I could call and that they were trustworthy enough that if I called it, they were never more than a yell away to come and talk to me. I was a hold out on getting my kids cell phones because of that. However, now that we all have them (and the texting that goes along with it) I'm constantly barraged with questions, comments and that give me a 'I'm right there with them' perspective. And, more and more people are forgoing the landline so being able to get in touch with your kids is more a necessity than it used to be. It would be interesting to poll and see how much of an honesty meter they are too. Because you can get immediate feedback via phone call or text, I've often wondered how many potentially bad decisions have been avoided because I was available to answer. I know that when I was growing up there were times that I'd call, leave a message on the machine, but still be faced with having to make a decision without the input I'd sought. Our kids and families don't have to make such 'solo' decisions anymore. Is that a good thing? It certainly isn't changing so I guess we adapt.
3-D movies... UGH... While Avatar and Toy Story were enjoyable in 3-D they would have been equally so in good ol' 2-D. I'm still happy watching a movie with a good story and don't need all of the myriad of special effects and bells and whistles that they use to distract us otherwise. I also don't want to pay for 3-d glasses, and then 'recycle' them, only to have to pay for them at the next movie. I can barely afford to go to one as it is- let alone paying an arm and leg for the extra 'D'
Hi Def... yeah... the picture is REALLY clear but again - i was happy with my occasionally snowy, non-cable tv for years. We're generally about 5-10years behind the bigger trends in our family anyhow so maybe the cost will come down by then.
Digital cameras -WONDERful. I'll end with this one (though there's many others I could go on about). There isn't any other advance out there that makes me quite as giddy as the digital camera. Again - all the bells and whistles that one can find on them are nice but the simple ability to take and see the photo instantaneously is such a blessing. I've always loved taking pictures. I didn't love paying to develop them - especially when my skills were less than honed or you didn't know until a month later that you'd had your eyes closed or some stranger had jumped into the shot when you didn't expect it. The ability to capture the moment - any moment - has been such a blessing to me. There are so many moments from my childhood and even from my own kids' early years that I wish I'd been able to capture more of. I have many moments but nothing compared to what I have now. Do I need all of them? No. But I do enjoy being able to learn on my own what works and what doesn't without having to develop them first. I've loved being able to share my photos with others and see the joy it brings them. I've also loved being able to photograph things that I wouldn't have before because I didn't want to waste the film - nature, animals, other people's children... LOL.
What do my technology choices say about me? Probably that I love making memories and keeping close to those around me. As with any of them though - it's important to make sure that the technologies available to us don't keep us from doing the things we love with those we love to do them with.
What's wonderful about technology to you? And what's left you underwhelmed? Let me know...
No comments:
Post a Comment