WOW - how did it get to be that three months have gone by since my last blog? It couldn't be that life, with its infinite sense of humor, has been busy, or that I've been tired or that I've had so much on my mind that I didn't know where to start....
First of all - look to the right of this post - PLEASE vote for our Pepsi Refresh Project. I've been working and helping for the past five years on getting our school a new playground. This year we have a terrific group of parents that have come together to try and truly make this a reality. You can register easily with FB connect and you can vote everyday. We're up against 468 other worthy ideas so PLEASE help us get the word out.
Life around our house has been up and down. Scott's health we believe is finally on an upward swing but continue prayers are needed to keep him that way and to get him to passing all of his classes. His ability to compete in cross country next year is on the line and that is something that really helps keep him connected. This year has been a huge struggle for him and so hard for this mommy's heart to watch and support. He's on the right track now, but is frustrated that it may be too little too late. At this point he is not necessarily on track to graduate with his peers - we've had that discussion but I'm worried about the spiral it may send him into when it really does sink in. He is such a bright kid but our traditional school system does not necessarily support and encourage the way he learns. I get weepy as I'm typing so we'll move on to....
... Gary's job. It changed about a month ago. He's finding the work to be challenging which is both good and bad. The commute is longer, the pay is less but we're grateful that he has a job in this economy and count our blessings where we find them. Speaking of blessings...
...Ciara is heading to Whitworth in the fall. Despite being accepted elsewhere there really was no other option for her. We felt such CLEAR guidance in that direction after our visit and know that the school really is where she is meant to be. If she can get her legs healthy enough she'll run for them in the fall, but if not is on board for track in the spring. She wants to major in athletic training with a minor in psychology (getting her teaching certificate at the same time) and remains one of the most focused, busy, and dedicated people I know. She is amazing and it really is a pleasure being her mom...
... which doesn't mean I don't have room for more kids in my house. B has been living with us full time since January. He is part of our family and brings even more love and laughter into our home. We are blessed to have him and are excited for him to start school in the fall and take the next steps on his journey into adulthood.
We are also in the process of working out custody for our niece. On our vacation in April we discovered that her living situation was not ideal and have been working with the family and the court to have that change. She is currently living with my father in law and all of us have been either going back and forth to Utah (Gary and Ciara - I'm out of leave) or doing research and filling out letters. The next court date is two weeks away and will determine her placement for the next few months. It is a difficult situation as we love our sister but need to do what's best for her daughter. Ideally, we would have her come live with us but really know that just not being in her currect situation is best so as long as that happens we will continue to love and support her.
I'm still plugging along at work. My job really does feed my passion working with kids and seeing them grow from wide-eyed innocent 5yr olds into emerging young people as they move on after sixth grade. I still maintain that it is a crucial age for development and one in which we can really make or break who they are.
Above all, I am blessed with friends and family who love me and support me through the rough spots and cheer along side me through the good ones. Time does fly - but hopefully it won't be as long till my next post. Until then.
No comments:
Post a Comment